With the wind blowing, the endless sunshine, the smell of the sea, and the mesmerizing view of the turquoise waters; one thing is sure, the Ionian Sea is in front of you.
The Ionian Islands that adorn the coast of western Greece will enchant and draw you in with its beauty and culture.
Kefalonia, blessed with culture, can meet the needs of the authentic traveler being a lesser known island and having plenty of hidden gems to discover. It is rich in traditional and local gastronomy given the island’s lack of commercialization as well as many other unspoiled wonders.
Soak away stress and dive into beaches of incredible beauty, let the lush green waters nourish your skin, soothing your body and mind. If you are feeling adventurous, you can try kayaking, snorkeling, and even day boat tips and see a different side of the unique beauty the Ionian Sea has to offer.
Beaches hugged by fir trees is one of the many unique characteristics of Kefalonia. A dip in these forest laden beaches, a wine-tasting tour, a walk in the numerous harbor villages, the hiking paths, and the fertile green landscapes are enough for someone to fall deeply in love with Kefalonia.
Kefalonia, one of the most cosmopolitical islands, adorns the West Side of Greece, with plenty of people arriving on the island ready to explore its majestic treasures.
There are plenty of ways to reach the island and, eventually, enjoy your dream vacation to the F Zeen Retreat.
Getting to F Zeen Retreat
The easiest and most comfortable way to reach Kefalonia is by airplane. Take a flight from the location you’re currently in and arrive at the International Airport of Ana Pollatou.
There are many daily direct domestic flights from the International Airport of Athens, Zakynthos, Corfu, Preveza, Kythera, Igoumenitsa, and Thessaloniki.
UK and European cities, such as London, Paris, Vienna, Milan, Budapest, Düsseldorf, and Oslo, also have direct daily flights, which increase in the summer months.
No Direct Flights
During quieter times in the season where there are no direct flights to Kefalonia, the best way to reach the island is:
- Land at Athens International Airport (Or any airport with a direct flight to Kefalonia) and wait for the connecting flight.
- Land at Athens International Airport and take a bus to Kefalonia
- Land at Athens International Airport and take a boat from Killini or Patra to the island. You can see more bellow.
Kefalonia’s airport is a 15-minute drive from F Zeen Retreat.
Even though there are no ferries from the port of Piraeus in Athens to Kefalonia, there are two optional routes:
- Boat line Killini – Poros: this route is available all year around, and it takes about 1 hour 30 minutes
- Boat Line Patra – Sami: this route is served mainly in the summer season, and it takes about 3 hours 30 minutes
Additionally, you can easily reach this magnificent destination from other locations in Western Greece. More specifically:
- The islands of Ithaca, Zakynthos, and Lefkada offer daily routes to the port of Poros in Kefalonia.
- Routes to Fiscardo, located on the northwest side of Kefalonia, are carried out from Ithaca and Lefkada.
- Patra, Paxi, and Ithaca carry routes to the Sami.
By Boat through Italy
Many boat trips are available from Italy to Kefalonia. However, this trip isn’t direct, as it includes one or more stops to connect with another boat.
More specifically, the ferries from Bari, Ancona, or Venice step over in Patras or Igoumenitsa.
- Stopover in Patras: When you reach Patra port, you can take a direct ferry to the port of Sami in Kefalonia. It takes about 3 hours 30 minutes.
- Stopover in Igoumenitsa: You need to go to Lefkas, where you can embark from Nidri or proceed to Vassiliki. You can take local ferries to Fiskardo (the northern end of Kefalonia). Alternatively, you can go from Igoumenitsa to Astakos, where there are daily ferries to the port of Sami, and it takes about 2 hours 30 minutes.
Driving from Athens to Patras port by bus or car takes about 2 hours. You can then take a ferry from Patras port to the port of Sami in Kefalonia which takes about 3 hours 30 minutes.
Alternatively, you can go from Athens to the port of Kyllini in the Peloponnese which takes about 3 hours 30 minutes and take the ferry to the port of Poros in Kefalonia which takes about 1 hours 30 minutes.
Also, from Astakos (mainland), there are daily ferries to the port of Sami in Kefalonia which takes about 2 hours 30 minutes.
Learn more here: https://www.ktelkefalonias.gr/en
Whichever option you choose to travel to Kefalonia, the best and easiest means of transfer to F Zeen Retreat is by taxi which we would be happy to organise for you.